Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Altec 808-8A Question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bonosurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    Haven't been here in a long time ;-( Can anyone point me to an impedance plot for this driver (808-8A)? I have access to a MLSSA and I would like to get my hands on some nominal data for impedance for comparision.

    Does anyone have a ball park # for what it would cost to replace the voice coils on these driver?

    regards

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    The impedance for the 808-8a is 8 ohms and the 808-16a 16 ohms.

    For prices for voice coil better call Great Plains Audio

    http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/


    For literature on Driver

    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...riverslit.html


    ...................

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I looked through my files, and could find no Z plots for anything older than a 909. Please bear in mind that any such (OEM) data for an 808-8A would pertain only to those with the original Symbiotek diaphragms, which are NLA, and likely have been replaced in many drivers you'll find for sale. I think it would be safe to assume any small-format diaphragm of Altec or GPA manufacture to have a VERY flat Z plot, with the typical peak at resonance, which varies depending on the alloy used. Perhaps some of the crossover designers/members have some personal test data or experience that would help.

    WRT replacement cost, the last 26420s I bought from GPA were (from my weak memory) $129 ea. You can find cheaper aftermarket units, but based on the comments from their users, you'll get what you pay for. If you want OEM (or better) performance, consistency, and durability, use GPA.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bonosurf, I don't know where you live, you don't show that in your profile, but let me tell you, I just had eight 808/802/807/806 alnico magnet drivers recharged and 802-8 new alumuninum tangential phragms installed by Bill at GPA, #34647. His price and service made the cheap aftermarket **** phragms not even worth considering. There was so little price difference between the authentic stuff, and the junk that I wouldn't even bother with aftermarket anymore, except for "maybe" premuim Radian's (1228-8) which are more expensive than the GPA phragms. I have 26420's and the 34647's from Bill, I stand by the 34647 for home use, have Bill install loading caps and new style phragm conversion kits and you're "good to go". I hope to get another 8 drivers done real soon, they're excellent, Dave.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    to get the power handling capacity of the 808's choose the pascalite 909 diaphragms from Bill. I am not sure of the cost from him.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Note that for home use the loading cap should omitted if digital EQ isn't used to flatten its very uneven response, especially if used with a 500 Hz XO.

    GM

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bonosurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    Thank you all for the comments and information. These drivers were purchased new in the late 60's and one of the diaphrams now has several broken leads.

    I have a pair of the radian diaphrams that were mentioned. I will also contact Great Plains for a quote.

    I did find impedance data on the AES site if anyone is interested. I plan on restoring a pair of Altec 9846B monitors. I have all the components and will start this project early next year. I'll keep you all posted.

    Thanks & regards

    george

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.